It is hard to believe West Chester’s Old Fashioned Christmas weekend is only two weeks away!
As most of you know, the FMSP with the help of Boy Scout Troop 14, lights up Marshall Square Park with over 300 luminaria every year — the photo is 2008 — as part of our town’s kickoff of the Christmas Season.
We encourage everyone in the greater MSP neighborhood to take part in this community celebration. In previous years, we have had nearly 1000 luminaria lighting up our neighborhood, and it has been quite spectacular. I hope you can join with us this year to make it the best display ever! –Jeff Beitel, FMSP President
PDF of Luminaria Flyer
NOTE: SPACE BAGS APPROX. FIVE TO SIX FEET APART ON THE HOUSE SIDE OF THE SIDEWALK.
*PLEASE HAVE LUMINARIA SET OUT & LIT BY 6:00PM on November 30th.
*ALL PROCEEDS GO TO BENEFIT BOY SCOUT TROOP 14 OF WEST CHESTER
MORE INFORMATION and to PURCHASE LUMINARIA
- The cost of the luminaria this year is $1.00 for two bags with candles. Sand is not included.
- Sand can be purchased at a local hardware store. A 1-pound coffee can per bag should be enough. Fun Fact: you can expect to get about 25 full coffee cans from one 40 lb. bag of sand!
- We recommend that you buy a butane lighter with a long neck to light the candles in the bags.
- Placing the bags on the inside (house side) of the sidewalk is best, so people can get in and out of parked cars and so the cars don’t totally obscure the light.
- Pick up is at the Walters’ house, 224 E. Biddle Street, starting November 27th through November 30th. Please EMAIL Anne Walters at: email@example.com with your name, how many luminaria you would like and when you want to pick them up.
- OPTION: If you would like to hire the Scouts to set up, take down and cleanup your luminaries for you, the cost for this service is $1.00 per bag with a $15 minimum charge. Please let Anne know if you would like to hire the Scouts for their help with the luminaries and how many you would like.
- The Friends of Marshall Square Park are also asking everyone to try to get your “old fashioned” decorations up by Friday the 30th. That includes white candles in windows, garlands/wreaths on porches, railings, doors, windows (evergreen style).
- These make great gifts!
- Please consider donating an extra $5, $10 or $20 (or whatever you can) toward the “Luminaries Around the Park” sponsored by the Friends of Marshall Square Park. The group plans to line the perimeter of Marshall Square Park with the candlelight glow of about 300 Luminaries on November 30th!